- This assignment will be in the format of a PowerPoint presentation (Bullet points and ‘Best Practices for PowerPoint’ should be used).
- You are developing this presentation as if you were going to communicate your analysis to your colleagues regarding a current federal bill you believe may be of interest to nurses.
- Go to https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/subjects/health/6130
- Links to an external site.
- (This is a required site for this assignment.)
- Choose a current health-related federal bill of interest from the required site. Read through the bill and develop a summary of the main points in your own words. Include the bill number and name. (You may also use H.R. or S.R. as these are bills in the resolution phase).
- Here is a link to our U.S. legislative process (bill to law) for review if you need to review how a bill becomes a law: https://www.congress.gov/legislative-process
- Links to an external site.
- Include the following information in your presentation
- Title slide (Your name, NR451, session, Healthcare Policy assignment)
- Bill name and number (indicate either H.B./H.R. or S.B./S.R.)
- Bill summary (in your own words)
- Address how this bill might relate to a professional nursing practicestandard if passed? If not passed? (Choose one standard from the ANA Scope and Standards of Practice textbook)
- How might the bill impact your own nursing practice if passed? If not passed?
- How might you communicate your concerns about or support for this bill to peers and legislators based on nursing practice, standards, or patient outcomes?
- How might this bill impact your community if passed?
- References slide to include the Bill source in APA format.
- Cite the bill reference and any other reference in APA format directly on the slide where the source is used
- No more than 12 slides
- Recommended headings for slides after the Title Slide: Bill Identification and Summary; Impact of Bill on Nursing Practice Standard; Impact of Bill on own Nursing Practice; Communication Strategies; Community Impact of the Bill; then, the References slide.
There is no required form or template for this assignment. Please use PowerPoint best practices throughout your presentation.
The following are best practices in preparing this presentation.
- Review directions and rubric thoroughly prior to beginning assignment.
- Watch the short video tutorial on tips for completing the assignment and on developing a PowerPoint.
- Incorporate graphics, clip art, or photographs to increase interest.
- Make slides easy to read with short bullet points and large font.
- Please see the grading criteria and rubrics on this page.
Scholarly Sources and Citation
- Cite all sources on the appropriate slides with (author, year) in APA 7th edition format.
- Spell check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
Sources and Citation
Cite all sources on the appropriate slides with (author, year) in APA 7th edition format. (TWO).American Nurses Association (2021). Nursing: Scope and standards of practice(4th ed.).
ANA standard 9 : Respectful and Equitable practice relates to the bill , 10 and 11 standard is related to how nurse communicates/ collaborates .
H.R. 33: Medicare Dental, Vision, and Hearing Benefit Act of 2023
The Bill for vision dental and hearing for medicare
Relates to the growing aging population to ensure quality cost effective care
Sensory impairment leads to isolation , depression impairs cognitive function The population needs to routine coverage to prevent decline , and substantial health problems ie reduce falls, and infection ensures the can perform adls to the best of their abilities so they can function in society.Dental to ensure adequate healthy diet is maintained prevent complications from inaqdeqate diet intake , ect.
The ana standard standard 9 Respectful and Equitable practice relates to the bill
And standard 10, and 11 communication and collaboration for communicating/ presenting the presentation
NR451, session Healthcare Policy assignment-Sample Solution
Health-Related Federal Bill: “The Lowering Prescription Drug Costs Act”
Summary of Main Points:
- Purpose: The Lowering Prescription Drug Costs Act aims to address the rising costs of prescription drugs in the United States and increase access to affordable medications for patients.(Health-Related Federal Bill Essay-Example)
- Drug Price Negotiation: The bill allows the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to negotiate the prices of prescription drugs covered by Medicare Part D with pharmaceutical manufacturers. This negotiation is intended to secure lower drug prices and reduce financial burden on Medicare beneficiaries.
- International Price Index: The legislation directs the HHS to establish an International Price Index (IPI) system for certain prescription drugs. The IPI would be based on the average price of medications in other economically comparable countries, and it would serve as a reference point for determining drug prices in the United States. The goal is to prevent drug manufacturers from setting significantly higher prices for medications in the U.S. compared to other countries.(Health-Related Federal Bill Essay-Example)
- Price Caps and Rebates: The bill introduces price caps on certain prescription drugs, limiting the amount manufacturers can charge for those medications in the Medicare Part D program. Additionally, it requires drug manufacturers to provide rebates to Medicare if the prices of their medications exceed the rate of inflation.
- Medicaid Drug Rebate Program: The legislation makes modifications to the Medicaid Drug Rebate Program, which requires drug manufacturers to provide rebates to state Medicaid programs for medications covered under Medicaid. The amendments aim to strengthen the program and increase cost savings for state governments.(Health-Related Federal Bill Essay-Example)
- Transparency Measures: The bill introduces measures to enhance transparency in drug pricing. Pharmaceutical companies would be required to disclose more information about their drug development and marketing costs, as well as the factors contributing to drug pricing decisions. This increased transparency is intended to help identify opportunities for cost reduction and accountability.(Health-Related Federal Bill Essay-Example)
- Closing the Medicare Part D “Donut Hole”: The legislation aims to close the coverage gap, often referred to as the “donut hole,” in Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage. This gap is the phase where beneficiaries face higher out-of-pocket costs before catastrophic coverage takes effect(Health-Related Federal Bill Essay-Example)