Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Part 4: Finalizing the Plan
Academic Success and Professional Development Plan. At some point in every construction project, efforts turn from design and the focus moves to actual construction. With the vision in place and the tools secured, the blueprint can be finalized and approved. Then it is time to put on hardhats and begin work.(Academic Success and Professional Development Plan)
Throughout the course you have developed aspects of your Academic and Professional Development Plan. You have thought a great deal about your vision and goals, your academic and professional network of support, research strategies and other tools you will need, the integrity of your work, and the value of consulting the work of others. With your portfolio in place, it is now time to finalize your blueprint for success.
Much as builders remain cognizant of the building standards as they plan and begin construction, nurses must remain mindful of the formal standards of practice that govern their specialties. A good understanding of these standards can help ensure that your success plan includes any steps necessary to excel within your chosen specialty.(Academic Success and Professional Development Plan)
In this Assignment you will continue developing your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan by developing the final component–a review of your specialty standards of practice. You will also submit your final version of the document, including Parts 1–4.
Note: For students in Nursing Education, Executive Nursing, Nursing Informatics, or Public Health Nursing, this Assignment is the first Portfolio Assignment in your program. You will have one Portfolio Assignment in each of your courses. You will need to save these Assignments for inclusion in your portfolio that you will submit in your Capstone course.
Be sure to review the Learning Resources before completing this activity. Click the weekly resources link to access the resources.
- Review the scope and standards of practice or competencies related to your chosen specialty in the resources for this module.
- Review the MSN specializations offered at Walden by viewing the module resource, Walden University. (n.d.). Master of Science in Nursing (MSN).
- Examine professional organizations related to the specialization you have chosen and identify at least one to focus on for this Assignment.
- Reflect on the thoughts you shared in the Discussion forum regarding your choice of a specialty, any challenges you have encountered in making this choice, and any feedback you have received from colleagues in the Discussion.
Complete the following items and incorporate them into the final version of your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan.
- With the resources specific to the MSN specialization and the, Walden University. (n.d.). Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), shared in this module, write a paragraph or make a Nursing Specialty Comparison table, comparing at least two nursing specialties that include your selected specialization and second-preferred specialization.
- Write a 2- to 3-paragraph justification statement identifying your reasons for choosing your MSN specialization. Incorporate feedback you received from colleagues in this Module’s Discussion forum.
- Identify the professional organization related to your chosen specialization for this Assignment, and explain how you can become an active member of this organization.
Note: Your final version of the Academic Success and Professional Development Plan should include all components as presented the Academic Success and Professional Development Plan template
Strategies for Maintaining Integrity of Work Solution
Integrity is a crucial aspect of both academic and professional work. Integrity determines honesty, consistency, and uncompromised adherence to existing morals, values and ethical principles. The strategies I would use to maintain the integrity and ethics of academic work while a student of the MSN program includes upholding honesty, respect, and professional demeanour in communication. On the other hand, I would uphold ethical decision-making, evidence-based practice, and consultation with experienced nurses.(Academic Success and Professional Development Plan)
In my academic work, I would use evidence-based literature material for assignments and research work, referencing sources used, paraphrasing, and using tools such as safe-assign to avoid plagiarism, which amounts to academic malpractice. Cheating or educational malpractice breaches academic integrity and contributes to unqualified graduates (Glasper, 2016). I would sustain respect for self and others and incorporates accountability and self-growth (National League for Nursing, 2012). Besides, I would maintain the confidence of fellow students, and lecturers exude courage to challenge the existing status quo and advocate for professional beliefs and values.(Academic Success and Professional Development Plan)
As a practising nurse, I would pursue and maintain ethics by upholding ethical decision-making, evidence-based practice, and consultation with experienced nurses. I would uphold the code of ethics for nurses by fostering human dignity, patient rights, privacy and confidentiality, accountability for my actions, a duty to self and others, and promoting values and beliefs (American Nurses Association, 2015). Significantly, I would pursue consistent consultation and evidence-based decision-making to support my obligation to provide quality and safe nursing practice and consequent patient satisfaction. (Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Part 4: Finalizing the Plan)
American Nurses Association. (2015). Code of ethics for nurses with interpretive statements. Available at: https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/nursing-excellence/ethics/code-of-ethics-for-nurses/ (Accessed 13 September 2022)
Glasper, A. (2016). Does cheating by students undermine the integrity of the nursing profession? British Journal of Nursing, 25(16), 932-933. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2016.25.16.932
National League for Nursing (January 2012s). NLN Ethical Principles for nursing education. Nursing Education Perspective, 33 (1), 65. Retrieved 13 September 2022 from: https://www.nln.org/docs/default-source/uploadedfiles/default-document-library/ethical-principles-for-nursing-education-final-final-010312.pdf?sfvrsn=4b49d00d_0