Application of the PDSA Model Comprehensive Nursing Essay Example
1. What are you trying to accomplish? (The aim statement).
The aim of the quality initiative is to increase influenza immunization rates throughout the entire influenza season among adults 18 years and over to over 70%. ( Application of the PDSA Model Comprehensive Nursing Essay Example)
2. How will you know if the change is an improvement? (What measures of success will you use?)
Influenza immunization rates were 50.2% during the previous year’s influenza season. The country reports about 4.2% positive cases of influenza every week (CDC, 2022). Immunization has proven an effective intervention in preventing influenza (Frisina et al., 2019). The change will improve if the weekly average infection rate falls below 4%.
3. What changes can you make that will result in improvement? (Change concepts that will be tested).
- Education and outreach – the public will receive an influenza vaccination “fact sheet” containing information discussing the benefits of vaccination and potential consequences of contracting the influenza virus, including death. The fact sheet will also address myths behind vaccination.
- Increase vaccine accessibility/availability – the public will get free flu shots all over the country and in all healthcare facilities, including private hospitals.( Application of the PDSA Model Comprehensive Nursing Essay Example)
- Providing regular reminders through television promotion campaigns, social media, and electronic text messages.
- Giving ongoing feedback and using digital health campaigns to inform people that appointments are quick walk-ins.
- Employ statistics to create awareness, reminding the community of the effects of influenza.
- Easing anxiety by increasing awareness of flu vaccine availability as a nasal mist rather than injections.( Application of the PDSA Model Comprehensive Nursing Essay Example)
I plan to increase influenza immunization rates throughout the influenza season among adults 18 years and over to over 70%.
I hope this produces lower weekly average positive influenza infection rates
Steps to execute (include a minimum of five steps):
1. Establish education and outreach
2. Increase vaccine accessibility and availability
3. Provide regular reminders
4. Give ongoing feedback and develop digital health campaigns
5. Distribute statistical evidence
6. Ease anxiety
What would you anticipate/predict to observe (include a minimum of five observations)?
1. Increase the proportion of vaccinated adults throughout the vaccination period
2. Reduced rates of weekly average influenza infection( Application of the PDSA Model Comprehensive Nursing Essay Example)
3. Reduced number of illnesses that result from flu
4. Reduced number of hospitalizations from influenza infection
5. Reduced number of deaths associated with flu during the flu season
Describe how you would measure the results and compare them to the prediction.
This year’s flu season starts in December and extends to February the following year. Flu also affects people throughout the year, although not expected. Starting at the end of this February, the number of people receiving flu vaccination will be recorded. Also, the number of weekly positive influenza cases will be reported. The recording period will take place for one year to the end of February the following year. Recordings will also include the total number of illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths linked to influenza. At the end of the recording period, the team will calculate the proportion of individuals who received flu vaccination and the average weekly infection rate. The number of illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths will also be used to quantify quality improvement. ( Application of the PDSA Model Comprehensive Nursing Essay Example)
What might you conclude from completing one cycle of the plan?
The number of people who received flu shots might increase after completing one cycle of the plan. The average weekly flu infection rates might fall before 4%. Also, the number of illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths associated with influenza might fall at the end of the recording period.( Application of the PDSA Model Comprehensive Nursing Essay Example)
Describe modifications for the next cycle based on what you learned.
Any modifications would include integrating more interventions and improving on the current ones to ensure the changes result in improvements.( Application of the PDSA Model Comprehensive Nursing Essay Example)
CDC. (2022, February). Weekly U.S. influenza surveillance report. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm
Frisina, P. G., Ingraffia, S. T., Brown, T. R., Munene, E. N., Pletcher, J. R., & Kolligian, J. (2019). Increasing influenza immunization rates among healthcare providers in an ambulatory-based, University Healthcare Setting. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 31(9), 698-703.( Application of the PDSA Model Comprehensive Nursing Essay Example)