1. Question: Why are infants susceptible to significant losses in total body water (TBW)?
2. Question: When thirst is experienced, how are osmoreceptors activated?
3. Question: What is a major determinant of the resting membrane potential necessary for transmission of nerve impulses?
4. Question: Physiologic pH is maintained around 7.4 because bicarbonate (HCO3) and carbonic acid (H2CO3) exist in a ratio of
5. Question: Which are indications of dehydration?
6. Question: Chvostek sign and Trousseau sign indicate
7. Question: How does the loss of chloride during vomiting cause metabolic alkalosis?
8. Question: In ARDS, alveoli and respiratory bronchioles fill with fluid as a result of the
9. Question: Which pleural abnormality involves a site of pleural rupture that act as a one-way valve, permitting air to enter on inspiration but preventing its escape by closing during expiration?
10. Question: Kussmaul respirations may be characterized as a respiratory pattern
11. Question: Pulmonary edema usually begins at a pulmonary capillary wedge pressure or left atrial pressure of _____ mm Hg.
12. Question: _____ is a fulminant form of respiratory failure characterized by acute lung inflammation and diffuse alveolocapillary injury.
13. Question: Dyspnea is not a result of
14. Question: High altitudes may produce hypoxemia through
15. Question: Clinical manifestations that include unexplained weight loss, dyspnea on exertion, use of accessory muscles, and tachypnea with prolonged expiration are indicative of
16. Question: Which inflammatory mediators are produced in asthma?
17. Question: In tuberculosis, the body walls off the bacilli in a tubercle by stimulating
18. Question: The most successful treatment for chronic asthma begins with
19. Question: Which of the following types of croup is most common?
20. Question: Chest wall compliance in infants is _____ in adults.
21. Question: Which immunoglobulin is present in childhood asthma?
22. Question: What is the primary cause of RDS of the newborn?
23. Question: Cystic fibrosis (CF) is caused by a(n)
24. Question: The release of fibroblast growth factors affects ARDS by causing
25. Question: An accurate description of childhood asthma is that it is a(n)